I've watched "One Tree Hill" since it debuted in 2003. For the last 2 years I have not had any cable...which then lead to me find a website where I could find episodes online so I could keep up. What I love about this show besides the sometimes bizarre episodes every so often...are some of the great words of wisdom the story writing brings. Some of my favorite quotes came from this show:
-"The rest of your life is a long time and whether you know it or not it's being shaped right now. You can choose to blame your circumstances on fate or bad luck or bad choices or you can fight back. Things aren't always going to be fair in the real world, that's just the way it is but for the most part you get what you give. Let me ask you all a question. What's worse not getting everything you wished for or getting it but finding out it's not enough? The rest of your life is being shaped right now with the dreams you chase, the choices you make and the person you decide to be. The rest of your life is a long time and the rest of your life starts right now."
-"believe that dreams come true everyday...because they do"
Among many others. There was one scene though today that spoke exactly what I needed to hear, and met me at the place I am. Clay, who is one of the brand new characters, is Nathans agent. Well, they finally started to show the back story for the new characters...and while Clay was working on his speech (he's a sports agent btw)...he was talking with his then wife...and it was something she said that clicked. It was the line for us good folks out there that are faced with the whole world in front of us, waiting on that one moment...
"The guys not great, he's just a great player and the man I love knows the difference. That’s what’s going to make you a great agent. You'll find players that you can believe in and clients that become friends. You'll find someone who has integrity, and character, and heart....and THAT will change everything for you."
I made a very strong declaration when I came into my career. I wouldn't just work for anyone just to say I had a client, or "gain experience". I'm gaining the experience I need now doing what I do. More importantly I always said I wanted to work for someone I respect and actually enjoy their company...if I enjoyed their music that would just be an added plus.
People always used to ask me and my friends why we traveled all over for Lisa when we could. The answer is simple. It's for the reasons all listed above. She opened herself up to us, and showed us who SHE was, not some image. Many of us didn't know much about her to begin with, so it was just refreshing to get away from our "normal lives" for a few days a month. I always called it Lala land. Whether it was overwhelming joy, or crazy madness, it was one thing. Real. It seems like so long ago now, and realistically it was. But without chasing that realness, I know for a fact I wouldn't be where I am. The things that I learned then, help me with my job now. The things I gain to learn now will continue to build within my career. At the end of the day, we were all normal people just trying to find the best way to live each day while having some fun. Some days were harder than others...but on some level we all came to a respect of each other. At least most of us. The ones I do, I still keep in contact with and make a point to see if I can. Because looking back, we where all moved by the music, and the honesty behind it...and that's what I miss. It was us against the world…and if you don’t believe that, I know many people that are probably still throwing my name under the bus for whatever reason. That’s fine, I opt to move along from the past.
So I don't care if I have 1 artist that makes up my career or 10. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the person. Not what the person does, who they know, or the amount of money they have...but the integrity of that individual. I am not going to protect and remove our lives out of the line of fire if I don’t believe in them or at the very least LIKE them! LOL. There’s a mall around here that is in on the west side. Whenever I go there, I tend to wear a hoodie, sweats and more than likely have my hair up in a hat. I do this for the purpose of seeing how I am treated. It's been a mixed reaction to say the least. But it keeps me focused on how to keep my head level, and never devalue someone for idiotic reasons. It's my take on the "pretty woman" scheme. Just with sweats...it’s my comfort zone. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem throwing on some NY & Co, but there’s nothing better than some adidas. Don't get to wear the "just chillin" clothes very often. Ok...now I'm just rambling...
The point is, don't just take a gig because it’s right there. Pray about it, get some insight...but more importantly...get a feel for how you’re going to be treated. Get the feel of those people around you. When you look back at life, you’re going to have a clearer view of the smiles you gave...versus the headaches you had...and I prefer the smiles. You’ll know the right move when it comes…more than likely it’ll scare the shit out of you because it seems to perfect. These are my words of wisdom for today.