Today was the first real work day in which I felt like things left and right weren't blowing up. Today was a good day. I didn't have to run across campus all day, and for the most part everything ran great. I got to catch up with some co-workers, some in which sit maybe just around the corner...but for one reason or another we just haven't chatted in a while. I then headed home after this semi-relaxing day, and took care of a thing or two. To celebrate the quietness, me and Joe decided to hold a lesson today, and have some grub. Hung out for a few hours, then it got to the point where I was about to dose off on his chair, and I knew it was time to get going. I would ring him when i got home, and then tomorrows another day.
Or so I thought.
When I was leavin his neighborhood, I made a turn and drove literally a few feet. I saw taillights, but from where they were I wasn't sure why someone would be leaving a road I've never seen before? I at first didn't see the headlights which then confused me. In fact so much so that I started to drive past this. I then took a look back and noticed a car was flipped. Since its PITCH black out, I decided to backup and get my headlights on what I thought I was seeing. It was in fact a flipped SUV? maybe, I couldn't quite make it out either since the vehicle was black. I found a safe spot, at least a spot that worked the best considering and immediately went up towards the car. Now I've always been the type of person to stop and help no matter what, especially if no one is there. In the galant I carried EVERYTHING, in the jeep, not so much lol. But I knew I had to stop. So i started to go over to this guy, maybe 20s? I'm so lost with ages now that im heading towards 25. He somehow got out of his upside down car, and started coming towards me. Now keep in mind, he didn't say much, what he did say i didn't understand, and hes a BIG guy. We'll compared to me at least.
So I kept a little bit of caution as to I didn't know if he was on something, or if he was drunk. He then wanted to pass out in the road, in which case that was DEF not happening. How would i get him out of the road?! I got him over to where the jeep was and just had him chill there. Now also keep in mind, right when I got to this guy I "pushed to talk" Joe and just said call 911. Didn't say much of anything else. Then I had a neighbor come down that head the hit, and then I have this guy that has his mom on the phone telling me to talk to her. Also, its FREEZING out. So I have all these ppl talking to me and i just wanted to yell lol. So i talked to the mother first as thats what I would've wanted if it was me. Meanwhile I had the neighbor call 911. I told Joe I was around the corner and he came down. Cops, and everyone else came, but I just pray his situation turns out ok. I wish there was more I could've done, but I don't think there was. When we all left, he was going to talk with the cops/ambulance. Needless to say I got my second gust of wind.
After the accidents I've been in, as well as my brothers last year, I guess I always realized that someone is always someones son or daughter, sister or brother, friend or co-worker. Helping people is what everything is all about. Just take it easy in your car. That's how I lost a lot of friends, and almost lost my life a few times. It's not worth the short cut, save a few seconds...nothing.
Then I get to the gas station, and I came across this guy in a giants hat. Ok, all good no probs. Realized though he was a sports gambler. Welcome to flashbacks of my WHOLE childhood. When some kids got to go to disney, I got to go to the bookies house for that weeks football/basketball games. I learned about over/under, point spreads, among other things. A few days ago I was having a discussion with my folks and my dad either doesn't remember a lot of things that happened for one reason or another, but he denies everything I said. I thought to myself, and this is what drinking does, and even though he rarely drinks anything now, the affects/suppression has altered his view from what really happened. Either that or he doesn't want to admit it.
I talked to the guy for a bit, he won 400.00 off yesterdays game. Good for him. But it made me realize that everything I came across tonight, I was uncomfortably familiar with. Car accidents and gambling. I thought to myself tho, even tho I only play cards for fun now, and I would never bet on sports because their so unpredictable....and with the accidents, I could go back on all those within my fam....I just realized how much I never wanted to get to the point where I did let the things I've been involved with ever suppress what really happened in my life. Sure God hit me in the face when I lost 500.00 the night before/morning of my interview for the job I'm at now...but what was I willing to lose in order to make a "comeback"
Sometimes we just live our lives attempting to make up for things/events that happened in our lives yesterday or years ago. My view on it though is, we can't look back but we can look forward. Take the lessons you've learned along this way called life, and make the choices that you would be proud of in 5 years or in 15.
I think thats it. I'm about to grab some sleep....so hopefully someone got some sort of message out of this one!!