March 30, 2011

Sabotaging your happiness

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.” -Aristotle

Why are we so scared to get everything we want out of life...and better yet deserve? We try to deny our feelings, try to reason with ourselves when it comes to work or relationships, we get in our own way of standing in between the happiness we really deserve and what we settle for. You know the feeling when you walk right into the most amazing opportunity and you wonder how you got there?...or finding yourself falling for someone that "isnt the safe bet". The one that makes you feel like you jumped off a cliff and your flailing about not knowing what to do next! Why do we sabotage ourselves when push comes to shove? We take interviews for jobs we don't want but think we need, go on dates with people who we think we're slightly interested in...to only find out the entire time you face this person, you wish it was the one you really wanted. We settle. We play it safe.

My mom has always been my biggest supporter. When I barely made it through high school, decided to move out on my own, packed up my life and moved across the country she always made it very clear she had my back. Of course our relationship isn't always crystal clear perfect...there are still times we'll both hang up on each other out of anger or be stubborn on something because we both are. However at the end of the day, no matter how crazy my dreams may seem...she knows that with my faith and will, I'll always try my best. When I spoke to my baby brother today he mentioned that some friends of his were interested in getting an apartment...well my mom wasn't caring for that idea too much lol.

If you've never met my brother Joey, he's definitely the book smart one out of all of us. This kid has been saving every penny he's ever earned since he could do chores...and he's been on honor roll or distinguished his entire life. However, he's a bit timid and shy...but that's never been a bad thing. Now at the ripe ol age of 22, he's being faced with many of the options that are available...and he always makes the right choice. With that being said, after we talked about the apt offer, I asked him why he gave up looking at places...and he stated "mom didn't think it was a good idea". I then got her on the phone and discussed this situation a bit further...

"He's only working a few days a week, he doesn't have a license, how is he going to afford this and that..." the usual concerns any mother would have. However one simple statement changed her outlook pretty easily..."Mom, you realize I don't have a steady job with 40 hours a week, and I don't know from one day to the next what's going to happen?" My moms reply: "Your different" LOL. She meant that in the nicest way possible, but I kindly reminded her of how life was for me when i moved out at 18. I was making $6.25 an hour, had a car payment and insurance already, and hunted my rear off for a place that I barely could afford...in fact, it was only a room for rent! I then ended up changing jobs, commuting for a very long time, traveling around the US, and there were many moments that I felt like I was dead in the water. I told her that if she believed in everything she's told me in regards to the success I'm headed for...then she needs to have trust that Joey will do the same if not better. My brother is leaps and bounds smarter than I am, I'm just the more social one and he's the book guy :)

It gave her something to think about as well as myself. Why can we believe so strongly towards something and not another opportunity that may be available around the corner? When did we lose sight that faith, love and trust is what makes life worth living? I can honestly say that I grew up in random situations and experiencing life a lot more differently than many. But what I've gotten out of that is a very diverse family and when push comes to shove we all stand behind each other. Most of my friends didn't have normal childhoods either, and we all love each other just the same. If I've learned anything from my family its how to accept the unexpected, never hold a grudge because people can change, and to appreciate every day we have on this earth. I really don't know how much more you can expect other than that?

So going back to my original point, why are we afraid of the best things life has to offer? I think its because we grew up hearing that everything was possible but watching those around us settle for whatever came about. I recently had a decision to make that scared me more than I realized. With the support of my family,my faith and some insight from some friends I woke up making the decision I needed to and I completely feel at ease about it. Nashville is home, it's where I want to buy a home, its where I want my next relationship, it's the place where everybody knows my name ;) I miss it when I'm away too long, and it's the place that I've seen miracles and dreams come true. In a way, it's my heaven on earth...and it took me 4 months away to realize that. It just took me a week to be reminded of that. I thank God every day for the people I've met here and for the chances that keep coming my way. Decide today to not be intimidated, to stop letting fear run your life...and instead dance in the rain. If your too scared to say the words, let your actions take the lead...and when the timing is right the words will catch up ;) Just trust in it.