I just keep going back to...I was only there about 2 months ago, and realistically its all going to be under water, and who knows what's going to last. I was on the phone most of last night with a few of my buddies that live down in New Orleans, and what their plan is. When I listening to exactly what happens I was really intrigued, and amazed. Each area, depending on where you live is designated to where you travel to, away from the city. From there you stay for a day or 2, or however long it takes to clear way...then u start to travel back and pretty much go as far as you can on that given day depending on how bad the storm hit. What made me really mad, was that the towns and cities that these people are seeking some sort of refuge, are raising their rate (hotels) because they know these people don't have any place else to go. To me, they are looking to save their lives, and their families, and all people care about is how they can make an extra buck off them. I would love to open a chain of hotels where people that actually can stay decently and not spend anything crazy. Most people don't even save for events like this because of whatever reason, and their going in debt by the minute.
The winds are already well over 165 mph, and it hasn't even hit the warm waters yet. Waves I think at the moment are reaching 30 some odd feet. To even think about it is crazy. One of my buddies who's a paint dealer of mine, just bought a house on the north side of the river. He said it shouldn't get too much damage which mainly will be flooding, which can be taken care of. Another pal said that he loaded up his van, his family boxed mostly everything up...took the computer and left this morning for TX. He parked his one car in a pretty good area, his sheds are packed up, and pretty much just hope for the best.
I honestly at this point am in shock, I can only imagine the feelings they must be going through. I look at the video clips from my trip, my camcorder was messed up for most of the day, but from what footage I do have...its amazing to me that it will pretty much all be under water. It literally dumbfounds me. I was planning on making a trip back because my one friends B-day is the weekend of Sept 18th, and even though i know I shouldn't be traveling right now for a few reasons, ATA sent me an email with a killer airline price that's very hard to pass up. Its a NY Giants vs N.O. Saints preseason game and its been marked down for weeks. Needless to say, I don't know what's going to happen now, let alone 3-4 weeks away. Just taking every day as it comes. Its things like this that you just hope you make the right choice and go from there.
So here's my prayer for my friends, and hopefully if you know anyone in the same situation right now, everything comes through ok...
*Hey God, its Kelly again. I know my prayers lately have been selfish, and I want to apoligize for that. I don't know where I went off course, and how I thought I could make this on my own without you, but I can't and I acknowledge that right now. In no way shape or form do i want to take anything you have done for me, for granted. I know every moment can change as it does. Right now though I pray for your forgiveness, and understanding.
We need you though right now, to watch over every person that is residing in the states of Louisiana, Alabama, & Mississippi. To protect all that are standing in agreement with me for you to help brace them through. We understand that the memories will never go away of experiences and thoughts that have been shared there, but the pain of the enemy may try to cause everyone fear. But Psalm 23-4:6 clearly remind us:
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil;
For you are with me; your rod, and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord, Forever."
So Lord, I ask of you, to those who know you and will know you because of this event, I pray that Hurricane Katrina, reduces speed and I say as a child of you dear God, that those that cry out to you shall be answered and their lives be forever touched. For fear shall not guide our lives, but the trust in knowing that you can and have done amazing things shall seek us through. So restore peace, and understanding as to the situation at hand, and take care of those all involved in these states, or safely away from their home. Even for those not affected by this storm who may be hundreds of miles away, please keep them safe as well, and help them overcome any mountains that they may be facing. I know when the worst is placed in front of us, we always run looking for something or someone to help, and forgive us father God for not seeking the truth. But out of tragedy comes beauty, so with that understanding becomes a closer relationship with you.
Thank You Lord for giving me another day of life, and I pray that decisions will be made, and more people come to find who you are throughout all that is facing us at this moment.